Don't forget to bring with you the following:
- Virginia Fishing License--We suggest you buy it at Wal-Mart on your way in as we will leave before anyone opens up on the lake! Licenses are also available online at vafishinglicenses. Note: Yearly licenses go 1 year from the date of purchase.
- Rain Gear - Your guides wear it every day - it blocks wind, cold and wet boat seats - waterproof boots are also recommended. (We fish regardless of the weather.)
- Warm clothes & wool socks in cold weather - Bring more than you think you'll need - You can always take it off! It is always colder on the water.
- Sunscreen - You can burn any day of the year the sun is shining.
- ALL CHILDREN under the age of 13 MUST wear a life jacket on the boats at all times. If you have one for your child, bring it. Their jacket will probably be more comfortable than the commercial ones on our boats.
- Optional - One medium-action casting rod with 12 to 14 lb. test line for casting 1/4 to 3/8 oz. Bucktails, sassy shads, flukes and topwater plugs. (Bring the lures if you have them.) This applies mostly to the Spring and Fall seasons - check with your guide when you call in.
- Cooler with food, snacks and drinks/beer for the day.
Point of Departure: If you are staying with us, we leave directly from our docks. If you are not staying with us, you will be picked up at Captain's Quarters on Rt.122 (16525 Booker T. Washington Highway, Moneta, Va 24121) on the south side of the Hales Ford Bridge. Please call a couple of days in advance for your departure time.
Fish with either Capt. Spike or Capt. Kathy. Everyone is welcome from young to old, beginner to seasoned veteran. Each trip is customized to fit your needs and wants. Learn the Lake's Striper patterns and fishing techniques or just sit back, relax and enjoy yourself!
FISHING SEASONS: (Traditionally speaking)
Spring - Early to late April - Best chance to catch a trophy! Best time for casting artificial throughout the day for stripers and bass.
Spawn - Late April through May - Predominantly live bait - Massive schools of fish and A.M. "breaking" fish.
Post-spawn - June - Mostly live bait on aggressive hungry fish. Another good time for a chance at larger fish.
Summer - July, August & September - Best time for lots of schooled stripers - vertical jigging live bait - particularly 1/2 day morning trips.
Fall - October, November and early December - Best time for live bait on schooled stripers and topwater action on "breaking" stripers - some of the most consistent fishing of the year.
* Don't forget about our "Slot Limit" - November 1st thru May 31st - You have to throw back any fish that are 26 to 36 inches in length. The slot is helping to grow bigger fish faster but if you want fish to take home and eat, you may want to book in June thru September.
WINTER - ALTHOUGH THE FISHING IS STILL GOOD, SPIKE AND I NEED A REST SO WE'LL BE OUT IN COLORADO SKIING. JUST CONTACT US BY PHONE OR ON THE NET AND WE WILL GET BACK TO YOU AS SOON AS WE COME IN OFF THE SLOPES TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR FISHING AND HOUSING NEEDS!!!!!!!!